In the Basic Automotive certificate program, students will learn the skills necessary for an entry-level technician’s position. The program combines classroom and practical training with on-vehicle experience. Students will become familiar with the latest technology, earn a certificate, and can work as an apprentice technician. Students gain skills that directly apply to the field of study, prepare for ASE exams, and work toward full-time employment.
BASIC AUTOMOTIVE CERTIFICATE
|AUTO120L||Introduction to Automotive Services||2||4||3|
|AUTO150L||Suspension and Steering||3||7||4|
Total Credits: 24
Students in the Basic Automotive Certificate may take a co-op if desired.
- have a high school degree or equivalent;
- interview with one of the automotive faculty;
- have command of the English language;
- have reading comprehension skills sufficient to read and comprehend service literature;
- have communication skills sufficient to prepare required reports;
- be able to understand and follow both written and oral instructions;
- be able to complete requirements for college level classes;
- have sufficient vision to distinguish colors, read gauges, scopes, diagnostic equipment and information from a computer screen (adaptive equipment acceptable);
- have sufficient hearing to distinguish various sounds and noises (adaptive equipment acceptable);
- have the ability to stand for extended periods of time and the physical strength to lift automotive parts and equipment;
- have sufficient dexterity to perform manual skills related to automotive service;
- be able to work in an automotive service facility environment;
- maintain a valid driver’s license;
- be able to purchase the minimum required tools.
- be able to identify learning needs and construct activities to attain continuous growth through self-directed life-long learning.
- be able to safely perform routine diagnostics, service and repair on today’s modern cars and light trucks.
- be able to safely diagnose and repair the integrated systems used on today’s advanced vehicles.