The Computer Technologies curriculum leads to an associate degree in the field of computer technologies. Additionally, the program is designed to offer Microsoft or other industry-recognized certification in specific areas of study within the degree program.
LRCC participates in Microsoft Imagine, Oracle, and Apple Academies. While earning an associate degree or a certificate, students can become certified in an industry standard by passing a series of tests. Certification gives industry recognition of proficiency in technical areas in demand by businesses. Certain certifications may also give access to technical and product information not available to the general public, including access to secure websites, as well as invitations to conferences, technical training and special events. Students can pursue all of the computer courses by means of distance learning, with the approval of the Department Chair. All courses are designed with the potential for transfer to a four-year institution.
Students taking the Associate in Science Degree in Computer Technologies select one track from the three tracks offered: Network Administrator, Application Developer/Gaming and Animation, Database Administrator/Web Developer. Many of the classes also provide the student with the knowledge and skills to pass a variety of professional certification exams. Students should declare their focus by the second semester to ensure completion of curriculum requirements. In addition, a Technologies for Education Certificate is available for educators who either wish to update their technology skills or become certified to teach computer classes at the middle and high school levels.
The rapidly changing world of computer technology has created a growing demand for persons trained in hardware and software. This degree program prepares students for a broad range of employment opportunities in the field; including positions in networking, software and mobile app development, database administration, gaming and animation development and help desk administration. All courses are designed with the potential for transfer to a four-year institution.
- Software Application Developer
- Computer User Support
- Computer Security Systems Analyst
- Web Developer
- Network Systems Administrator
- Game Developer
- Database Administrator
- Software Quality Assurance Engineer
APPLICATION DEVELOPER CERTIFICATE
|CIS136L||Introduction to Computers||2||2||3|
|CIS227L||IT Developmental Applications||2||2||3|
|CIS140L||Introduction to Programming||2||2||3|
|CIS292L||Mobile Application Development||2||2||3|
|CIS271L||Analyzing Software Requirements||2||2||3|
|CIS276L||Developing Web Applications||2||2||3|
|CIS277L||Programming for Games||2||2||3|
Total Credits: 31
Computer Technology Program candidate must:
- have command of the English language;
- have normal vision for reading instructions and course materials and for performing manipulative tasks;
- be able to complete requirements for college level classes;
- be able to understand and follow both written and oral instructions;
- have sufficient vision to distinguish colors, read gauges, scopes, diagnostic equipment and information from a computer screen (adaptive equipment acceptable);
- have reading comprehensive skills sufficient to read and comprehend technical literature;
- have communication skills sufficient to prepare required reports;
- have sufficient hearing to distinguish various sounds and noises (adaptive equipment acceptable);
- have sufficient dexterity to perform manual skills related to computer operation.
At the completion of the program, each student will have:
- knowledge of operating systems, applications, database systems, hardware, programming concepts, networks, and online resources;
- knowledge of security issues, risks, tools, and policies;
- ability to apply a systematic and methodical approach to solve problems;
- strong documentation skills and knowledge of general business principles and project management;
- obtain specific technical skills to enter the workplace based on the student’s chosen track;
- to think critically and make appropriate decisions based on relevant factors.