Academic Disclosure

Academic Policies

Withdrawing from the College | Student Status | Disclosure of Directory Information |
Privacy of Records | Social Security Records

Withdrawing from the College

Withdrawing from the college is a serious step, and students should discuss this process with instructors, the academic advisor and the college counselor. To withdraw from the college, a student must complete the withdrawal form and an exit interview with the college counselor and financial aid director. Failure to attend classes does not constitute withdrawal from the college. However, students may be administratively failed (AF) due to excessive absences.

Students may withdraw from the college up to one week before the end of the semester. The date of withdrawal is noted on the student's academic college records, which also reflect the most recent date of class attendance, as needed, for students receiving scholarships, veteran’s benefits, or for recipients of Title IV financial aid or other awards with special attendance requirements. Academic records will be treated in accordance with the standards used for dropping individual courses. A student who has withdrawn from the college or who has been suspended may apply for readmission through the Admissions Office.


Student Status

A matriculated student is one who has been admitted to a program (degree, professional certificate or certificate) at the college. Matriculated students are entitled to participate in the Title IV Federal Financial Aid Program and have priority when registering for classes with limited enrollment. To remain matriculated, a student must register for, and enroll in, at least one course during the academic year (not to exceed a 12-month period). A student who does not register for at least one course per academic year will lose matriculated status. A student who chooses to re-matriculate must reapply for admission to a program. A student who begins a second program at the college may have to satisfy different program requirements.

A non-matriculated student is one who has not been admitted to a program at the college, and may register on a first-come, first-served basis for any course, providing the student has met prerequisites and that there is space available. Non-matriculated students should matriculate before the completion of 9 semester hours and begin pursuing graduation requirements. An advisor will help students make these decisions.

A matriculated student may request a leave of absence in writing through the Academic Affairs Office if the student will not be taking courses within one academic year (not to exceed a 12-month period) but wishes to remain on matriculated status. After a leave of one academic year, the student must either register for at least one course or lose matriculated status, thus requiring reapplication and admission.

Enrollment status is defined according to the number of credits a student takes during a semester and is used to determine financial aid awards. Credits awarded for transfer, work experience, audits and challenge exams do not count toward determination of full-time status. It is important to know that full-time status is the equivalent of 12 or more credit hours.

Full-time 12 or more credits, or registered for co-op
Three-quarter time 9 - 11 credits
One-half time 6 - 8 credits

A student must register for 12 or more credit hours to qualify for full-time status for financial aid, veteran’s benefits, insurance discounts, etc.


Disclosure of Directory Information

New Hampshire Community Technical College defines “directory information” as name, address, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, enrollment status (may include number of credits and/or full/part-time status), anticipated graduation date, degrees and awards.

Students may refuse designation of any or all of the above categories of personally identifiable information as directory information provided that a written request is received by the Registrar.


Privacy of Records

The college maintains an academic folder for all matriculated students. The folder includes permanent academic records, application for admission, correspondence to and from the college, transcripts of all previous academic records, recommendations, standardized test results, armed forces papers, social security papers, medical records and miscellaneous information.

The college does not provide access to, or release of, any personally identifiable records or files to any individual, agency or organization without prior written consent of the student except as follows. The President, Vice Presidents and registrar shall have unlimited access, without permission, to all student records. They may release information without prior written authorization of the student in the following circumstances:

  1. To officials and teachers within the college who are directly involved in a legitimate, educational matter with the student.
  2. To authorized Federal and State offices as identified in Section 438(b)(3) of Public Law 93-380.
  3. To appropriate persons in connection with an emergency if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of any person. If students wish
    their parent(s) or anyone else to be given information about any aspects of their progress at the college, they must sign a Waiver of Confidentiality form, which can be obtained
    from the registrar’s office.

Students may request release of college records by completing the Authorization for Release of Records form with the Registrar’s office prior to the release of student information or documents to individuals other than those listed above.


Social Security Number

Federal law requires that Lakes Region Community College collect names and corresponding social security numbers for all students attending the college. The college is required by the Internal Revenue Code to produce a 1098-T tax form (26 U.S.C.A. Section 6050S or Federal Register, Vol. 67, No. 2244, page 777686 (ii)) which requires the college to report the names and social security numbers of all students taking credit-bearing courses. Please note, however, that the college will ensure the security of the student’s social security number and will not disclose it to anyone outside the college, except as authorized by federal or state laws, regulations or applicable policies.